“Neither of my dogs killed a shelter dog”

The topic of adopting vs going through a breeder comes up a lot in today's society. I am not ashamed of Alvin and I strongly support responsible breeders. Going through a breeder doesn't mean a person sees shelter dogs as inferior or unworthy. I should not have to justify my decision to get a German Shepherd from a breeder to someone who has no conceptual knowledge of what good breeders actually do. Popular slogans like Adopt Don't Shop irk be so much, I didn't shop for my dog, a dog is not a handbag or a pair of shoes, it is a 15 year commitment and a lot of work. I spent two years researching the breed and an additional year locating a breeder that fit my standards. This misconception comes mostly from lack of education when knowing a reputable breeder from a backyard breeder (BYB). "Blaming me for the death of shelter dogs is like blaming a parent for the death of orphans in Uganda because she chose to have a baby through pregnancy, rather than adopt one."-Showsight. This article is fantastic and I strongly support shelters and rescue agencies who help find great forever homes for homeless pets. Read the full article linked below.
“Neither of my dogs killed a shelter dog” – Our favorite Facebook status update in awhile

Not sure what a BYB is? Check out the article linked below:

The Truth About Backyard Breeders

Tried to find source of this photo and came up empty... sorry...please don't sue me 
-M


1 comments:

  1. Great points! Everyone is different. Some people adopt from shelters/rescue groups/people rehoming their dogs, others decide to go to reputable breeders, and some do both. None of these people should have to defend their decision, as long as they take good care of their pet! I went to a responsible breeder for my first dog (a German Shepherd). In the past, my family "rescued" our Yorkshire Terrier from an irresponsible owner that kept her alone in a tiny room all day and didn't bother to do a check on the people he was just giving his dog away too (no re-homing fee, no questions, didn't bother to get to know us, etc). I think both are great options.

    Everyone will agree that puppy mills and backyard breeders are bad, given that they are properly educated on their existence. The key to improving animal welfare is properly informing and educating individuals on the different routes they can take in regards to getting their animal companion. If all you do is chastise all breeders and pass harsh judgement on those who do not adopt, you will only create resentment, and won't help the cause at all. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About